Saturday, September 8, 2012

강남스타일-Gangnam Style

For those of you who live in a box, there is this song called "Gangnam Style" that appears to be taking over the world. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the dancing is ridiculous and the video is pretty funny. I say you live in a box, because from what I've heard the song is everywhere. I live in Korea, so obviously it is everywhere here. And I mean everywhere.

Playing at the convenience stores.

Playing at the restaurants.

Playing at Clubs, not that I go.

Playing at every cafe ever.

If you have not seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

But, it could just be hearsay and no one actually knows the song. I feel like I live in a bubble in Korea and have no idea what is going on in America pop-culture-wise. After seeing Yolo on the internet a lot, I finally had to ask Allison what it meant. She laughed hysterically and then made fun of me. I cannot help it if I do not hear normal references here! Though, I can honestly say, I don't care that I'm missing out on things like yolo. I am, however, extremely upset that Amy Poehler and Will Arnett have split. My hope in finding my other half has greatly diminished now that I know they didn't last.


Anyway, back to Gangnam style. It is everywhere, as previously mentioned. Even my Korean class. We just learned some new grammar skills this week, that is almost exclusively used in the song, so we watched the video approximately 13 times in class, then had to read the lyrics out loud. But, everyone was too embarrassed to sing, so we just read them. A lot of hysterical laughter ensued as we read, since it sounds soooo ridiculous just being read out loud. Very monotone with words you know you should be singing.

For a sample, these are the English lyrics. Read out loud to really appreciate how ridiculous it is.

I’m a guy
A guy who is as warm as you during the day
A guy who one-shots his coffee before it even cools down
A guy whose heart bursts when night comes
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Now let’s go until the end

Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gangnam style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh

I would have posted the Korean lyrics romanized, but they look like this, which is unhelpful if you don't actually speak Korean. Also, google just tried to auto correct romanized to Womanizer.

Jeongsu-khae boijiman nol ttaen noneun yeoja
Ittaeda shipeumyeon mukkeot-deon meori puneun yeoja
Karyeot-jiman wen-manhan nochulboda yahan yeoja
Keureon gamkakjeo-gin yeoja

Needless to say, my Korean class is fun, despite being enormously frustrating and difficult. But, I will survive.

To end with, here is a parody of Gangnam style, which is in Hongdae, which is where I live. Well, very close to where I live (maybe 15 minutes walking distance). So, if you ever wanted to know where I live, here it is. And no, those are not gang tags, as mother thought. It is very safe. No need to worry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmIlbyLIcKg

1 comment:

  1. I cleary do not know what is popular...I had to wactch it like a train wreck. Haha very funny.
    Glad your having fun with your classes. It rained here for just a few minutes..got very dark...a first it many days!
    Thomas is in Paris and loves it. That is shocking. He is onto Rome next.
    Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete